A Picnic, or: Social Time #2 - 09-04-13

I'm sorry for the delay! A lot of things happened in a short time, for example the picnic of the ANL's Nanotechnology and Engineering Division. Fortunately I chose the eight weeks which include this annual social event which is attended by ... well, nearly everybody. To be honest the number of actual scientists was too easy to determine since most of them were excited about conferences coming up and, thus, they polished their presentations and had to get those through clearance - nothing will leave the ANL grounds digitally or in the "old-fashioned" printed style without official permission.

However, I joined a group of very nice secretaries and administration stuff tasting the whole palette of US-American deserts. When I felt that I had achieved the ability to roll away, luckily two colleagues started playing "beanball" and suddenly they'd got a third teammate. (I never thought that I'd fail so much in throwing a small bag into a hole just 4 m away! Mh, I have to admit that my combatants didn't score better... )

At the same time the fire alarm test in the childcare center next to the ANL park went off - that's just where we were hanging around so relaxed. It  just reminded me of the fire simulation in a Boarding school I stayed at at about 5 o'clock in the morning, it was raining and we all stood with blankets in our pajamas outside. But it didn't rain, no, the annoying noise vanished and instead an interesting animal appeared:

A Sunbather - Mantis Religiosa