A Nanoscientific Piece of Art - 08-23-13

"I've got a job for you." - Alright, that sounds interesting! "Could you reconstruct this pattern?"



Eeer, NO?!

Okay, yes, of course, finally I was able to manage that... With a super nice demo version of a mathematical software which was so kind that I could not safe the image in its construction mode. Thus, my laptop had cope with a hard time, but we survived. Furthermore we adjusted the length and width to 6.8 microns (pixel-scaled of course ;-)).

But... why?

The direct occasion were some people from Norhtwestern  University of Chicago. They build the pattern, which is a Penrose tiling (quasicrystalline structure (1)) and ran a simulation of the pattern engraved in a magnetic nanomaterial to see the magnetic domains. That's just been a simulation  - now here we are and we  patterned the image yesterday on a permalloy membrane. The observation of the magnetic behaviour will take next Tuesday, I hope.

(1) Ha, the quasicrystalline structure has been the greatest fun factor during the construction of the flower: Quasicrystalline means that there is no "brief" mathematical description like the direct, not turned repition of a small pattern. Nevertheless, a formula exists, but I had more fun to pull out all the stops in geometrical construction. And - don't you immediately recognize the "golden ratio" between the main short and the main long strokes? ;-)

If you got interested (as I hope), there exists more information about my work here.